If you’ve seen some of the edibles packing, you’ll understand why a child might confuse a medicated brownie with a normal one. They don’t understand the writing so that won’t stop them from trying to eat it. There are parents, doctors, and school workers that are upset about the fact that medicated treats seem to be getting into the hands of children in the state of Colorado.
It was reported from Children’s Hospital Colorado that there were 14 children that were seen in the emergency department between October 2009 through December 2011. Before the year 2009, there were no reports of children ingesting marijuana. The kids that did eat marijuana infused food were said to be sleepy and slightly disoriented and one was reported to have trouble breathing. Since eating cannabis has such a different effect then smoking it and children are so much smaller, it’s difficult for their small bodies to handle the high doses of THC that some medicated treats contain.
There was one young girl named Evelyn Hernandez, age 2, who was playing on the lawn of her family’s apartment building and stumbled upon a cookie in the grass. She managed to get in a few bites before her mother took the cookie away. A few hours later, the little girl was drowsy and having trouble walking by herself. The parents took her to the hospital and she tested positive for THC. The young girl is fine now and seems to have suffered no ill effects from eating the medicated cookie.
If you do purchase medicated treats, it is very important to keep them out of reach of children. Colorado is trying to push through new packaging that will make the treats very difficult for a child to get to but sometimes, the treats are dropped or left unattended and unwrapped where a child could get a hold of them. It’s important to keep all kinds of medication away from children, unless they’re using it under doctor supervision.