Are you looking to get a job in the marijuana industry? I came across a job opening (listed below) with the National Cannabis Industry Association. If you fit the description of the job announcement, I highly encourage you to apply. The National Cannabis Industry Association recently held an event in my home state of Oregon, and everyone that I know who was in attendance had great things to say about it. The salary is almost three times what I make at my crappy cubicle job…Below is the job announcement:
The National Cannabis Industry Association’s Director of Government Relations works directly with NCIA’s executive director and contract lobbyist(s)to carry out the organization’s federal lobbying efforts.
The Director of Government Relations is responsible for leading NCIA’s day-to-day lobbying operation in Washington, DC. Specifically, the Director of Government Relations works to:
• Raise awareness of and build support for NCIA issues through meetings with congressional staff and Members of Congress.
• Schedule and coordinate meetings for visiting NCIA members, including organized lobby days.
• Prepare briefing papers and other documents for distribution on the Hill.
• Develop relationships with other organizations that could become allies in NCIA’s effort to improve the legal and social climate for cannabis businesses.
• Track issues on the Hill that could affect the cannabis industry.
• Attend events in DC on behalf of the NCIA PAC.
• Manage NCIA filings with FEC (PAC contributions) and Senate (lobbying disclosure).
• Serve as a media spokesperson for NCIAin DC.
• Prepare educational materials and briefing papers for NCIA members.
• Contribute regularly to NCIA’s blog and newsletter.
• Other duties as assigned.
Candidates must be highly organized and able to manage several projects concurrently in a fastpaced, lean, nonprofit start-up environment. Excellent written and oral communication skills are a must. Law or public policy degree preferred but not required for candidates with extensive experience in policy or advocacy field.
The Director of Government Relations reports to the Executive Director and works under the direction of NCIA’s co-founder and contract lobbyist, Steve Fox. Salary is $65,000 to $80,000 and commensurate with experience and education. Includes full health and dental benefits and a generous vacation policy.
This position is based in Washington, DC and would work from home for the foreseeable future. Some travel will be required throughout the year.
E-mail a one-page cover letter and resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your cover letter, please specify how you learned about the job opening, your stance on marijuana law and the industry’s role in reform, and why you think you would be a good fit for the position sought. Feel free to include any other information you deem relevant, as long as your cover letter is limited to one page.
When your application is received, you should receive an automatic email confirmation. Do not call NCIA’s office to follow up. Within a week or so, we will follow up with either a rejection notice or a request for more information.
October 25, 2013
The National Cannabis Industry Association (NCIA) is the largest cannabis trade association in the U.S. and the only organization representing cannabis-related businesses at the national level. NCIA promotes the growth of a responsible and legitimate cannabis industry and works toward a favorable social, economic, and legal environment for that industry in the United States.