I have been to a lot of events and conferences in the last four and a half years with The Weed Blog. Easily one of my favorite ones was the 2012 Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP) Conference. I made a lot of friends and learned a lot that weekend in Denver. If you are able to, I highly encourage you to consider attending the 2014 conference. Below are some details. Make sure to donate to Students for Sensible Drug Policy early and often:
Over the course of three days every other fall, the SSDP network comes together to celebrate, learn, connect, and advocate at the SSDP Conference + Lobby Days. This year, SSDP2014 will bring more than 400 student members, alumni, and supporters to Washington, DC for our largest-ever gathering featuring:
- Educational programming. The core conference program will include prominent keynote speakers and panels addressing the hottest topics in policy, harm reduction, leadership, organizing, and advocacy.
- Awards Ceremony + Dance Party. SSDP recognizes outstanding network members with a biannual awards ceremony followed by a dance party.
- SSDP Job Fair. Students and alumni will have a unique opportunity to connect with drug policy reform organizations and legal marijuana-related businesses seeking to enhance their growing staffs with young people who are uniquely dedicated and already trained in leadership skills.
- Student Congress. Our annual student board member election and governing resolution process invites all SSDP members to participate in defining their SSDP.
- Lobby Days. Students, alumni, and network members will have a unique opportunity to lobby Members of Congress on a core issue for the SSDP network and other critical drug policy reforms with a team of like-minded advocates.
- And more. Alumni gatherings, regional meetups, networking meals, and other events offer nearly non-stop opportunities to connect with advocates and leaders of the drug policy reform movement!
Discounted early bird registration rates are available until 11:59pm EST Friday June 27th. On 6/28 registration rates will increase. The deadline to register is September 5.
Limited scholarships will be awarded to current students through our scholarship application process. The application period is May 1 – August 25 at 11:59pm EST. Late submissions will not be accepted. The form can be found here and the FAQs can be found here.
Have an idea for a session at the conference? Submit a proposal!
The deadline to submit session proposals is July 18th.
SSDP2014 is made possible through the support of our nonprofit and corporate sponsors. For more information and to sponsor this event, please click here.
All conference events will take place at the Holiday Inn Rosslyn unless otherwise noted.
The Holiday Inn Rosslyn offers complimentary garage parking and free wireless internet (in sleeping rooms). There are two onsite restaurants and an indoor pool and fitness center. All sleeping rooms have private balconies.
Holiday Inn Rosslyn
1900 North Fort Myer Drive
Arlington, VA 22209
To book your stay, call (703) 807-2000 and mention you’re with the SSDP conference in order to receive our group discounted rate.
“I learned to connect with others who feel as passionately as I do about changing the drug laws in this country. I learned that there really is hope. We really can do this.”
“I’ve found a new inspiration…now I feel like I can go through with the things I’ve been wishing I could even attempt.”
“I think [my experiences at the SSDP Conference in 2012] will help me communicate with people of different political views about drug policy substantially. The workshops were very enlightening and helped me to really consider what I needed to do as an interested activist.”