Thirty One States Are Considering Marijuana Law Reform
At post time, there are 31 states that currently have pending marijuana law reform legislation. These measures deal with a wide array of topics including decriminalization, record expungement, medical access, and full legalization. 2015 is shaping up to be one of the most active legislative sessions on record for the marijuana legalization movement, but these bills won’t pass themselves. It is absolutely crucial that you, the stakeholders and voters, get engaged in the process and apply pressure to your state lawmakers to urge them to support these measures.
Reaching out to your state officials is as simple as a few clicks of the mouse using NORML’s Take Action Center. Simply consult the landing page to see if your state has pending legislation, click on that legislation, enter your zip code, and a pre-written email will be sent on your behalf. Once you have taken this initial step, we strongly encourage you to follow up by contacting your lawmakers directly and speaking to them on the phone. If politicians don’t hear from their constituents on these pieces of legislation, they remain unlikely to support them when they are called for a vote. Click HERE to see the full list of pending legislation. Recent additions include:
- Vermont: Marijuana Legalization Bill Introduced in Senate
- Tennessee: Measures Introduced To Depenalize Minor Marijuana Offenses
- Maryland: Lawmakers to Consider Measure to Vacate Past Marijuana Convictions
- New Mexico: Senate Committee Approves Marijuana Legalization Bill
- Hawaii: Provide Safe Access to Medical Marijuana
- New Hampshire: Lawmakers Hold Hearing on Marijuana Decriminalization Bill
Don’t forget to check out the full listing here and check back frequently as new alerts are added and old ones are updated with the most recent information.
Together, we can make the country a little more NORML. Together, we WILL legalize marijuana nationwide.