If you live in Oregon, chances are you have seen an explosion in the amount of medical marijuana dispensaries popping up all over the state the last few years. Starting in March, these medical marijuana dispensaries will finally be legal! The Oregon Health Authority has posted the rules that medical marijuana dispensaries will have to operate under once the licenses are rolled out. A summary of the rules are posted below:
On Monday, March 3, 2014, the Oregon Health Authority will begin accepting applications from individuals who wish to register and operate a medical marijuana dispensary in Oregon.
Update: Final temporary rules posted
The final temporary rules governing medical marijuana dispensaries in Oregon have now been posted. These are the rules that will be in place when the program begins accepting applications on March 3, 2014. If you are planning to file an application, you should read the rules to get an understanding of what will be required to register and operate a disepnsary.
The rules implementing Oregon’s medical marijuana dispensary law are intended to ensure safe access to medical marijuana for patients registered through the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program while keeping our communities safe. The rules were developed through a public process that included more than 17 hours of public meetings and testimony before a rules advisory committee that included members representing law enforcement, medical marijuana advocacy and legislators. There will be additional opportunities to comment on the final draft of the temporary rules before they are made permanent. Check this page or sign up for e-mail updates below for more information.
Key provisions in the rules
- No person convicted of the manufacture or delivery of a Schedule I or II substance in the past five years will be allowed to register a dispensary. Persons with more than one conviction are permanently banned from operating dispensaries
- No dispensary may open or operate within 1,000 feet of a primary or secondary school
- No dispensary may open or operate within 1,000 feet of another dispensary. Applications for competing locations will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis
- Dispensaries must be located only in areas zoned commercial, industrial or agriculture. See note below regarding other restrictions from local government entities
- All medical marijuana distributed through dispensaries must be tested for pesticides, mold and mildew, and may not be distributed if contaminants are found
- There must be a strong security system in place
- All product brought into and dispensed from the facility must be accounted for
- The Oregon Health Authority will visit and inspect each dispensary and audit its financial records at least once a year